Here are my personal ideas, ideas taken from Pinterest, product reviews, and random thoughts about my life as a Kindergarten teacher. Feel free to pin these ideas, use them in your classroom, and share them with your coworkers. After all, we are all working towards the same goal: to help our kiddos become successful students and lifelong learners. ENJOY!

Monday, June 25, 2012

Never "Shhh!" Again!

I pride myself on my classroom management. I always get compliments on how well-behaved my class is and how under control I have them. First off, I attribute that to setting expectations from day one. And, more important than that, FOLLOWING through on those expectations (imagine that!). I will occasionally share some tips I have to keep your crazy kinder kiddos under control and manageable. After all, why spend most of your time trying to maintain a workable class, when you should be spending your time teaching them!

OK, so for today I wanted to share some of my tips on how to keep your class quiet and how to get their attention. I've never really been a "1-2-3, eyes on me" teacher (something about that saying makes me cringe) and I definitely never use that magic phonogram "Sh!" with my kiddos (haven't you noticed if you say it, the kids think it's ok if they say it, then you have a whole room of kids trying to "sh" their friends and it just turns into a big disaster). Here are some ideas that I've gained over the years. I'll throw in some traditional ones, as well. We all know what works with one class may not work with another, so it's nice to have a lot of ideas under your toolbelt.

- Stop light: Use this to keep your working level at an acceptable range. Keep a stop light posted in your room. When the kids are allowed to talk to their friends, move a clothespin to the green light. When the kids may whisper to their friends, move it to the yellow light. When talking is not OK for the task, move it to the red light.

- Stop sign: Similar to the stop light... When talking is not OK for the task, show the side of the stop sign that says "STOP." When the kids are allowed to talk, flip the stop sign over (on the other side you can have a happy face, or even paint it green with the word "GO" on it).

- Bubbles: When you want to get the kids attention, blow some bubbles. The kids have to be totally quiet or ready for the next activity by the time the last bubble pops. You never know how fast the bubbles will pop so the kids like to move fast. Sometimes the last bubbles lasts FOREVER, but the kids are in such awe watching it float away until it finally pops.

- Light switch: Oldie, but a goodie. Turn off the lights, kids freeze. Now you have their attention!

- Counting Down: Hold up 5 fingers, and count out loud backwards to zero. By the time you get to zero kids are to be quiet or be ready for the next activity.

- STOP: You say: "S-T-O-P" (spelling it out), Kids say: "STOP!" and freeze.

- Freeze: You say, "Freeze!" and freeze in a funny pose. The kids are to copy your pose and freeze quietly.

- **Class, Class: Had to star this one because it's my favorite! It has worked, without fail, for every class. Even parents have commented on how amazed they are that it works! You say, "Class, Class." Kids stop what they're doing, look at you, and say "Yes, Yes." You can mix it up and sing "Class, Class" in a funny way, and the kids mimic the song when they say "Yes, Yes."  You can even change the wording a little bit. For example, if you say "Classity-Class-Class," they say, "Yessity-yes-yes." It works like a charm!

- 1-2-3: You say: "1-2-3, eyes on me." Kids say, "1-2, eyes on you."

- Counting to move: When you say "1," kids stand up. When you say "2," kids push in their chairs. When you say "3," they complete whatever task you give them (line up, put your paper away, etc.).

- Your Majesty: This one is so cute and I think it's hilarious, but so simple! I put on my fake British accent and say, "Childreeeen!" and the kids turn to you and (in their fake British accents) say "Yes, your majesty?" Sometimes they like to say,  "Yes, my queen." It's funny because sometimes they will call me your majesty instead of Miss Jacobson.

- Bell: Oldie but a goodie. Simply ding a bell and the kids go quiet.

- Class clap: Teach your class your class clap. When you perform the class clap, they stop what they are doing and repeat it. Keep their attention (or wait for stragglers) by continuing different clapping patterns and have them repeat.


- If you can hear me: Loud voice: "If you can hear me touch your nose." Softer voice: "If you can hear me touch your ears." Softer voice: "If you can hear me touch your stomach." Whisper: "If you can hear me (state task)." Usually, by the whisper you have their attention.

- Are you listening?: You sing (to the tune of "Are you sleeping?"), "Are you listening? Are you listening?" Kids say, "Yes we are. Yes we are." Then you can tell them what you need them to do (by saying it or continuing the song).

- Still talking? More time-out: I had to use this with one of my classes that just would NOT shut up! I would tell them to come to the carpet and they would talk, talk, talk, talk, talk!! I would tell them that I'm going to keep track of how long it takes them to get quiet. I'm going to add up the time and at the end of the day, that's how much time the class spends with their head down. In the beginning, my class had anywhere from 5-8 minutes of time-out. Within a couple weeks they realize what they need to do and our time-outs died down to 2-3 minutes. A month later and we didn't have any time-outs.

- Fish out of Water!: I have yet to try this in my classroom, but I think I'm going to this year. You say, "Fish out of water!" Then the kids have to take a big gulp of air and hold their breath (after all, fish cannot breathe out of water). When the kids are holding their breath (or pretending to, at least) quickly give directions. When they let out their air, they can complete the task.

- Silent Countdown: Hold up 10 fingers. Slowly take one finger away. The kids will look at you and catch on. By the time you get to zero, your class should be quiet.

I hope you will be able to use some of those with your classroom. If you have any other ideas, feel free to post them in the comments! I would love to learn more strategies.



Here's my kiddos working with caterpillars/cocoons/butterflies a couple years back. They always kept their caterpillars on their tables and also their plant cup, but we never had any issues with a child not working! SET EXPECTATIONS AND FOLLOW THROUGH!

1 comment:

  1. I have tried of few of these techniques with my classes over the years. Depending on the class, sometimes they worked. I am going to try the class,class one this year; it sounds like a winner..and is a cute idea! Thanks!!

    ReplyDelete